Inspiring Australia Student Sponsorship grants for 2017/18
Inspiring Australia Student Sponsorship grants for 2017/18 have just opened. Please note that the guidelines have been updated for this grant round. The key change to this round is the amount of funding has been reduced from $5000 per student to $1500 per student for domestic events and up to $5000 per student for international events remains the same.
Please find some information about the grants including an overview, funds available and eligibility criteria. I would still encourage you to read the guidelines attached.
Overview of grants:
Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions aims to support young Australians to develop skills and potential career opportunities in a field of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
It will do this by providing grants to organisations, such as schools and community groups, to sponsor eligible young Australians to participate in conferences, competitions and other STEM-related events.
The Science Engagement element supports Australian students under the age of 18 to attend or participate in significant STEM related activities or events in Australia and overseas. This could include support for a senior student to pitch an innovation to an entrepreneur or participate at Australian-based STEM competitions.
The International Competitions element supports talented Australian students under the age of 18 to participate in high profile STEM competitions outside Australia.
- $1 million per year for student participation in STEM engagement activities and events that take place in Australia or overseas.
- $600,000 per year for student participation in international STEM competitions taking place outside Australia.
You can submit applications at any time, and we will assess them in the order we receive them. We will close applications when the funding for that year runs out.
The minimum grant amount per application is $1,000.
The maximum grant amount per student is:
- $1,500 for STEM events or activities occurring within Australia
- $5,000 for international STEM events or activities.
The maximum grant amount per application is $20,000.
- the participation of a student or a group of students under the age of 18 at an eligible event
- a minimum of $1,000 in eligible expenditure.
An eligible event must:
- be related to the pursuit of a field of STEM and one that promotes student engagement in STEM-related disciplines, or participation in STEM-based competitions both in Australia and overseas
- take place within one year of the application being submitted. The Programme Delegate may allow exceptions to this requirement if satisfied that a longer lead-time is needed (for example, for the student to register for an early bird rate at a major conference)
An event is not eligible if the sponsor organisation is required to support the student/s to attend the event as part of its normal ‘business as usual’ activities.
For more information on what types of events and costs are eligible, go to Schedule 3, Section 21 of the Inspiring Australia – Science Engagement Programme Guidelines. www.business.gov.au/sgseic
Regional New Industries Fund
The State Government is committed to building regional economies that are entrepreneurial, creative and technology driven to create sustainable job opportunities for regional people.
The State Government’s New Industries Fund, will allocate $4.5 million across the nine regions of Western Australia to support venture creation, accelerate small-medium enterprise growth and seed innovation initiatives.
The program comprises of two allocations, a Regional Stream and a State Network Stream. Totalling $4.5 million over four years.
The Regional Stream will seed local initiatives that build a communities innovation pipeline and to drive long term impact. Up to $300,000 is available to each region.
State Network Stream
The State Network Stream will fund projects that increase connectivity and build capability across regions, the state and to international markets. In particular, the stream priorities initiatives that enable technology development, service innovation and market access.
Regions will work together to develop initiatives.
Any regionally based organisation or individual interested in innovation and business development are encouraged to register to join a Regional Innovation Partnership. Here’s how:
- Register your interest to be involved
- Attend a roadshow briefing in your closest regional centre
- Read the program guidelines, frequently asked questions, templates and application forms linked on this page
- Help design and deliver your regional roadmap and action plan
- Join the conversation #WAinnovation
- Applications open 7 March 2018
- Roadshow briefing will be held in each Region commencing in late March 2018.
Register Your Interest to participate in a Regional Innovation Partnership and attend a briefing.
For related documents visit: https://www.drd.wa.gov.au/projects/Economic-Development/Pages/regional_new_industries_fund.aspx